AAR: Intermodal edges higher still in the US

Trains Industry Newsletter
Get a weekly roundup of the industry news you need.
By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine. View our privacy policy.
Nov8Table
Association of American Railroads
Nov8Chart
Association of American Railroads
WASHINGTON — The Association of American Railroads today reported U.S. rail traffic for the week ending November 4, 2017.

For this week, total U.S. weekly rail traffic was 538,739 carloads and intermodal units, down 0.8 percent compared with the same week last year.

Total carloads for the week ending Nov. 4 were 266,652 carloads, down 1.7 percent compared with the same week in 2016, while U.S. weekly intermodal volume was 272,087 containers and trailers, up 0.01 percent compared to 2016.

Five of the 10 carload commodity groups posted an increase compared with the same week in 2016. They included metallic ores and metals, up 4,176 carloads, to 22,716; nonmetallic minerals, up 2,411 carloads, to 38,980; and chemicals, up 1,797 carloads, to 31,552. Commodity groups that posted decreases compared with the same week in 2016 included coal, down 6,003 carloads, to 86,843; grain, down 5,376 carloads, to 23,281; and petroleum and petroleum products, down 1,216 carloads, to 9,665.

For the first 44 weeks of 2017, U.S. railroads reported cumulative volume of 11,439,089 carloads, up 3.3 percent from the same point last year; and 11,848,796 intermodal units, up 3.6 percent from last year. Total combined U.S. traffic for the first 44 weeks of 2017 was 23,287,885 carloads and intermodal units, an increase of 3.5 percent compared to last year.

North American rail volume for the week ending Nov. 4, on 13 reporting U.S., Canadian and Mexican railroads totaled 363,969 carloads, down 1.1 percent compared with the same week last year, and 354,947 intermodal units, up 3.7 percent compared with last year. Total combined weekly rail traffic in North America was 718,916 carloads and intermodal units, up 1.2 percent. North American rail volume for the first 44 weeks of 2017 was 30,900,543 carloads and intermodal units, up 4.9 percent compared with 2016.

Canadian railroads reported 81,942 carloads for the week, up 0.9 percent, and 71,119 intermodal units, up 23.1 percent compared with the same week in 2016. For the first 44 weeks of 2017, Canadian railroads reported cumulative rail traffic volume of 6,405,460 carloads, containers and trailers, up 11.1 percent.

Mexican railroads reported 15,375 carloads for the week, down 2.7 percent compared with the same week last year, and 11,741 intermodal units, down 4.9 percent. Cumulative volume on Mexican railroads for the first 44 weeks of 2017 was 1,207,198 carloads and intermodal containers and trailers, up 1 percent from the same point last year.

— An Association of American Railroads news release. Nov. 8, 2017.

Leave a Comment
Want to leave a comment?
Only registered members of TrainsMag.com are allowed to leave comments. Registration is FREE and only takes a couple minutes.

Login or Register now.
Please keep your feedback on-topic and respectful. Trains staffers reserve the right to edit or delete any comments.
0 COMMENTS

Newsletter Sign-Up

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine.Please view our privacy policy
Subscriber only content
Subscriber-Only Content
Subscribe Up To 54% off the newsstand price!
Subscribe To Trains Mag Today
+