NEW YORK – An extensive tour of east coast steam and museums operations, including a tour of Jerry Jacobsen’s Age of Steam Roundhouse, will be conducted next September to as a fundraiser for the “The Wolsztyn Experience,” a British-based organization that runs the “Your Hand on The Throttle” Steam Program in Wolsztyn, Poland. The program allows members of the public to operate a main line steam locomotive in Poland.
Organizers say the primary tour objective is to enable participants to do things they cannot do on their own. It will offer exclusive access, behind-the scenes tours, and charter trains with photo run-bys. The nine-day bus tour starts at Grand Central Terminal in New York on Sept. 13, 2014, and ends in Baltimore on Sept. 21 Participants can then return to New York using Amtrak. The tour features:
- Nearly 100 Steam Locomotives representing a great range of eras and wheel arrangements,
- Eight Private Steam Charters (many with freight cars); including New Hope & Ivyland, Black River & Western, Strasburg Rail Road, Wilmington & Western, Durbin & Greenbrier Valley, Cass Scenic, Age Of Steam (former Ohio Central), and Steam Into History in New Freedom, Pa.,
- Three Regularly Scheduled Steam Trains; including: Steamtown, Strasburg and Western Maryland Scenic,
- All Three Types of geared Logging locomotives in operation: Shay, Heisler, and Climax,
- The tour will be the first public group to see Jerry Jacobson’s new “Age Of Steam” roundhouse and photograph one of his locomotives pulling a photo freight.
- Visits to four major steam museums and two trolley museums including: Steamtown, Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, Age Of Steam Roundhouse, B&O Railroad Museum, Electric City Trolley Museum in Scranton, Pa. and the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum in Washington, Pa.
The tour cost, based on double occupancy, is $3,375.00. For a private room, the single supplement is $375.00. A $750.00 deposit is required within two weeks of making a reservation. Organizers say 50 percent of the space is already sold. For an illustrated 10-page brochure, e-mail Carl Franz at firstname.lastname@example.org
, or call him at 240-720-8686. His mailing address is: Carl Franz, 16620 Shea Lane, Gaithersburg, MD 20877.