Published: June 1, 2006
On November 1, 1980, the Chessie System and Seaboard Coast Line Industries merged to form the CSX Corporation. The two railroads were operated as separate subsidiaries until July 1, 1986 when the Seaboard System's name was changed to CSX Transportation. In 1987, the Chessie System was officially merged into CSX Transportation, which then became the sole rail subsidiary of the CSX Corporation.
CSX intermodal train Q137 climbs the Allegheny mountains at Mance, Pa.
Photo by Matt Van Hattem
The Chessie System had been comprised of three railroads: the Baltimore & Ohio, Chesapeake & Ohio, and Western Maryland.
Seaboard Coast Line Industries was the parent company of the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad, whose predecessors were the Seaboard Air Line and Atlantic Coast Line railroads.
Seaboard also controlled the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, which it officially merged in 1982, at which time the company was renamed the Seaboard System Railroad. Later additions to the Seaboard included the Clinchfield Railroad, the Georgia Railroad, and Georgia Railroad affiliates Atlanta & West Point Railroad and the Western Railway of Alabama.
In 1991 CSXT absorbed the Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, in which it had a controlling stake, and in 1992 completed acquisition of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie.
CSX Transportation expanded considerably on August 22, 1998 when it purchased 42 percent of Consolidated Rail Corporation, with the remaining 58 percent purchased by Norfolk Southern. Operations over former Conrail routes began on June 1, 1999.
CSXT received lines originally belonging to the old New York Central, including the eastern half of the famed Water Level Route between Boston, New York and Cleveland, and the Cleveland-Indianapolis-St. Louis route (part NYC, part Pennsylvania Railroad). CSXT also received an ex-Reading line between Philadelphia and northern New Jersey, over which predecessor B&O once operated passenger trains.
The Conrail acquisition necessitated the creation of shared area operations with Norfolk Southern in three regions: North Jersey, Philadelphia/South Jersey, and Detroit. CSXT and NS both operate trains into the Monongahela coal fields of southwest Pennsylvania.
Today, CSX Transportation provides freight service over 22,000 route miles in 22 eastern and Midwest states, the District of Columbia, and two Canadian provinces. Its lines stretch from Chicago, East St. Louis, Memphis, and New Orleans on the west through Appalachian coal country and industrial cities along the eastern Great Lakes to Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore on the east and down the Atlantic coast to Tampa and Miami.
Coal, chemicals, automobiles and auto parts, lumber, food products, phosphate, and intermodal trailers and containers are the most important commodities hauled by CSX Transportation.
With its acquisition of Conrail, CSXT became a key intermodal carrier, operating time-sensitive trailer and double-stack trains between New England, northern New Jersey, Chicago, and St. Louis. Intermodal volumes grew 58 percent as a result of the acquisition.
From mines in Appalachia, unit trains of bituminous coal move to U.S. power plants and the Hampton Roads coaling pier at Newport News, Va.
A key destination for unit grain trains originating in the Midwest are food processors in the southeastern U.S. Minerals such as cement, sand, limestone, and gravel used in construction also move southeast.
CSXT receives refrigerated boxcars of canned goods and fresh and frozen foods originating on the Union Pacific in California's San Joaquin Valley and delivers them to Boston, Mass. and the Hunts Point food market in the Bronx, New York. Food products originating in the Pacific Northwest are shipped to Atlanta and Lakeland, Fla.
Phosphate rock mined in Florida's Bone Valley region is hauled north for U.S. and Canadian agricultural businesses and for export.
Perhaps the most well known freights on CSXT are the Tropicana Juice Trains, unit trains of refrigerated boxcars carrying orange juice and related products from Tropicana's Bradenton, Fla., plant to distribution centers in Cincinnati and Jersey City, N.J.
CSX Transportation, Inc.
500 Water Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202